Wednesday, September 15, 2010

If My Lola Were Still Alive...

...she would have turned 93 today. Happy birthday, Lola! I miss those times when we would walk around the village and you would buy me ice cream. Then you would tell me not to tell my sisters because they might get jealous. Or when you would read the newspaper and i ask you if you can play ten-twenty with me. Or when you would eat while resting your feet on the chair. Or when we would bring out the camera and ask you to smile and all you do is stick out your tongue. Or when we would eat Chips Ahoy or Oreos and you tell us you don't eat those junk. Kapag konti na lang that's the time you ask for cookies.

I miss having a grandparent around. I wish I got the chance to ask her what it was like to live in the '40s, or how she survived with 6 kids and 9 miscarriages. I saw her take her last breath, and my mom crying while a priest is praying over her and her nurse trying to resuscitate her. It was painful to watch, but watching her die was my way of saying goodbye to someone who would always try to give us everything we want.

Happy birthday, Lola! I know you're happy in heaven. Pag time ko na i-welcome mo ako jan with a cone of dirty ice cream :)

No comments: